The Liebster Award 2017 is an award that exists only on the internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
I was nominated by cmofhappiness aka Sylveran Noirterel, thank you!! Sylveran’s Why Asexuals Belong To LGBT+ is a very well researched and thought out piece on why asexuals belong in the LGBT+ community, which I very recommend that you read, especially if you are not well educated on the history of the asexual community and the oppression that we’ve faced.
Since I’ve been nominated for this award it means I have to answer the questions that I’ve been given so:
1. What made you start your blog?
The reason why I started my blog was when I was figuring out I was asexual I felt very alone in my discovery and I felt like there was no one who really understood what I was going through, especially as someone who figured out during their first relationship (the same goes for figuring out I was aromantic). And due to this loneliness I felt I decided to create a blog to hopefully help people who might be in the same situation as me by sharing my story as well as talking about other asexual and LGBTQ+ issues that I feel I can talk about (i.e. my aromanticism and being nonbinary)
2. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I would change my physical appearance to look less feminine as I’m often misgendered because of the way I look.
3. Favourite childhood memory?
This is actually really hard to answer because I have a terrible memory. I think my definite answer would be either having the opportunity of meeting my favourite band in person and/or being able to experience their music whilst they were on tour (which turned out to be their last tour). That band (The Wanted) have a special place in my heart because they helped me through tough times. And these two memories are some I cherish still to this day.
4. 5 things about yourself that you like?
- I love how unapologetically and confident I’ve become with my aroace identity.
- I like that I can now talk about my experiences as an aroace person openly and help people because of it.
- In terms of my appearance I like that I wear glasses.
- I like the passion that I have for my hobbies, and that even if someone says something bad about them it won’t stop me from enjoying them.
- I like how confident I’m becoming in both my blog writing and my fictional writing.
5. Your thoughts on forgiveness?
I think you should forgive people if they deserve it. If someone has apologised for hurting you and they sincerely mean it then you should think about forgiving them. But if that person either isn’t very sincere or they’ve hurt you really badly then it’s okay to not forgive them. Your happiness comes first.
6. Would you turn back time?
Honestly I don’t think I would. I feel like I’m where I need to be at the moment, and anything that has happened in the past has lead me to this day. Plus if I turned back time it would mean re-experiencing bad times, and not knowing much about myself that I’ve learned over the years.
7. If you could travel anywhere, which place would you choose?
I’ve always wanted to travel to Australia but I know I wouldn’t be able to handle the heat, since I can barely handle the heat here in England. But I would also like to revisit Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida because I really enjoyed my time there but we didn’t get to experience it as much as I would have liked to (we were in Universal for two nights, three days before going back to the place we were staying).
8. Your (bad) habits?
I bite my nails, it’s something I’ve done all my life. I also find that when I’m using a pen I either bite the lid or I fidget with it. I think most of these are due to nerves or stress (probably both). Another one that might be good to mention is that I can get irritated and angrily easy, it’s not something I’m proud of but that’s apart of me.
9. Where do you wish yourself to be in 10 years?
I wish to be happy in life in every way shape and form, happy with the way I look, happy with the job I have, happy just overall. I hope that I’ll have my novel(s) finished and hopefully published. I definitely hope that I’ve moved out during that time. But we’ll see.
10. What do you hate?
This is probably bad but I hate a lot of things (it goes with the fact I’m easily annoyed) but things I really hate is the gatekeeping (in the LGBTQ+ Community) and shipping culture (that excludes/forgets aromantic people exist) that I’ve seen around social media sites (especially Tumblr). I think because of the fact we’re all talking online it’s easy to forget that there’s real people with real feelings behind a screen.
- Why did you become a blogger?
- Have you changed a lot since your first blog post?
- Is there anything you would like to change about your life?
- If you could change one thing in your past would you do it?
- If you could make something either legal or illegal what would it be?
- Do you/have you held a grudge for a long time?
- If there was one thing you could tell your younger self what would it be?
- If you could be a celebrity for a day what would be the first thing that you would do?
- Is there a person who has made a great impact on your life?
- Are things better left unsaid or should you speak your mind?